Monday, September 21, 2009

Layout of the Week Apple of My Eye


If you've never been apple picking in September in Oregon, you've really got to try it. Delaney was three on this particular apple picking trip. One of the ladies in our mom's group set this trip up as a photo opportunity. She recommended we dress the kids in denim & white shirts, which is always a great combo when you're having photos taken. I probably shot a few hundred photos on this outing. At the time, my digital camera had to be changed from color to black & white and then back again. I did shoot a few color photos that day, but my most favorites, as usual are the black & white ones. There is just something I love about removing the distraction color creates and just concentrating on the subject. Of course I thought I had the best subject in the whole wide world, my daughter!

The large photo on the left page is the best photo I've ever taken of Delaney. It may be the best photo I've ever taken, period. There is just something about her holding out the apple toward the camera to show me the bite she took out of it, the look on her face and the dappled sunlight. When I first had these photos printed, I sent them to all the family members & gave them to a few friends. I even had the friend of a friend ask me if she could have one just because it was such a great photo. Now I didn't do anything special to achieve this photo, there was no coaching or retrying over & over again with the pose. It isn't posed at all, I just happened to click the shutter at the perfect moment. I guess I could say it was meant to be, but I'm pretty sure that good photos come from taking TONS of photos. It probably just boils down to math. The probability that you will take a good photo rises along with the number of photos you take. So keep clicking that shutter & you're bound to end up with a great photo for your next layout!

I shot so many photos that day, I couldn't just use one on my layout. My other favorites are shown on the right page. I love the sequence of three verticals. I just told her to show me her favorite apple & she came up with the poses all on her own. Now, the one in front of the barn was set up by mommy. I do like to plan things from time to time (ha ha!), and having the big barn in the background while the little girl with her bucket of apples stands in the foreground tells the story of the day and helps create the feeling of being there on the farm with her.

I love the red apple paper combined with these black & white photos. You don't have to see a red apple in the photos to know that those apples are red. The red apple diecuts seemed to be perfect backgrounds for my white Sizzix letters. And I was very happy with my decision to use my Creative Memories square punch to punch the scrap paper and leftover photos from this layout to create an eye catching grouping.

This is one of my favorite layouts that I've created in the last few years.

On your next project, use squares of left over paper & photos to create an almost free eye catching element on your layout.

7 comments:

Annette Piper said...

I love that - the wonderful red of apples :) Its fun!!

Blog Stalker said...

Awesome job and great advice and ideas!

Have a great day!

Native American Momma said...

This could be a good layout to use for a teacher of her classmates like as a Thank You thing or something. This is really cute

Nanny Dee said...

The black and white photos really make this layout pop! Thanks for the great idea!

Also, when you get a chance, please stop by to pick up an award for having an exceedingly charming blog... :D

http://newenglandnanny.blogspot.com/2009/09/walking-red-carpet.html

Forgetfulone said...

Fun layout! The red is awesome. I've never ever been apple picking before. We don't have that here in Texas. Too bad for us, huh?

Mommy of Many said...

I love the layout! I think I'll do a little scrapbooking today. Thanks for stopping by.

Christine Duff said...

I really like the look of your layout. Bold colors!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...